17 February 2013

I'm moving home! (again)


So, on Valentine ’s Day I managed to land myself another new home. But I would say this is a 'proper home'. None of this stupid flat living business. It's an actual house. Semi-detached house! And to make it better, it's another new build! And what makes it even better, (it is possible!) is that the price tag is pretty damn sweet!

You see, the thing is, too many people were telling me to do this and do that. When really, I knew it wouldn't be the cheapest option. But, I ended up being plonked in this accommodation anyway. I mean, it's nice. It's roomy, brand new, lovely views. But I can't help but think it's just not worth the four-digit-figure (yes, I meant thousands!) I pay for it. 

Having lived in flats before, I personally could rant out so many taboo words about them. Let's start with the first experience. It was an attic version of a flat and too often I would find myself having a budding roommate in the form of a bird. They would just swoop on in! I was forever screeching and trying to usher them back out of the rooftop windows. 

Then, I went for the ground floor option. (Thinking, woo! No more birds!) Only this time to have a young family living above and the children took so many tantrums! And you know what a child taking a tantrum means? Noise! They would cry, scream, and stomp their feet so hard. Oh yeah! Imagine living below that! And, if it weren't the tantrum noise, it would be balls bouncing and what I'm convinced was roller skates indoors! 

And so, to the next one! This time, I opted for the middle flat. But this time, the people above me are trainee teachers. So I thought, ‘yeah, okay, respectable’ But once again, the curse of flat living hits again. One of the girls walks so heavy, I have nicknamed her 'Thumper'. Her footsteps can be heard over the hoover! Honest! They seem to think it’s acceptable to put the washing machine on in the early hours, I’m talking around 1am - 2am. And they party every single weekend! That one doesn't even need to be explained.

But enough of that! Maybe I've just got terrible luck when it comes to neighbouring flats. So the new move is going to be a house! This time next month, I will be in there, sorting through all my belongings, working out were they will go. 

Now, I know a lot of people hate moving and think it’s stressful. Me on the other hand, I LOVE it! It’s a new adventure, a new place to make your own. A fresh look and a chance to try a completely different interior design approach. What’s not to like about that?!

With a house you get more personal space and that means more privacy. Only thing is, my partner will use that as the reason for him to plug in his guitar and turn the volume up. Okay, so maybe that’s something I’ll just have to accept!

Basically, living in houses is probably better. But, I guess we’ll just see how this one turns out.